Havent seen this house yet in Sidney- dont know that I want to??? know he loved that red door!!!:)






Whos feets are whos? Not the most well done photo but I dont have time right now to make it all cute ...so there are the babies feet- wanna guess whos they are?
-Daddeo-
I. Introduce myself: Ari- Al’s second Daughter out of three
- Honored to get to speak to you all today about our dad and moms husband.
- Most of you knew dad and how sweet he was, but Because dad was such a meek and humble guy a lot of people don’t know about his accomplishments- many of which were extremely noteworthy!
II. Dads first great accomplishment the 2nd half of his life was meeting and marrying mom.
· As can see on the back of dads program, mom wrote that meeting dad was love at first site and they were married only 3 months later in the
- My dad loved my mom very very much. He had his own quiet way of showing it as he did to others.
- Most of my letters from my dad that he wrote me from my mission talked about mom. He talked about how he loves her so much. How she was working so hard to make everything look beautiful and asked advice what to get her for her birthday et.
III. Dad and mom went on to have 6 BEAUTIFUL childrenJ, I must sayJ
· In the mean time dad was accomplishing some other incredible things! If you haven’t noticed, my dad was a phenomenal artist and inventor, (as well as man)
IV. After BYU,his mission to New England and his marriage to mom, mom and dad moved to
· Dad graduated with HONORS from San Jose State University with a MASTERS in fine arts.
· For dads end of the year thesis of sorts dad collaborated with the engineering department and created a HUAGE COLORFUL LIGHT SHOW for the students. Though he had an engineering mind he was known for his sweet heart. In order to make ALL feel included at the light show dad invented a little TEDDY BEAR that would follow the people around in the middle of the room. Very cute.
V. He later went to teach Fine Arts at
Chairman of the Kinetic Arts Department
for 6 years while also serving as the assistant professor of the ENTIRE art department. YOUNGEST PROFFESSOR of record at the time!!!
§ You may have seen in the slide show on the way in, photos of dad working on different inventions. While Dad was serving as chair in the kinetic art department he invented and built an INTERNAL COMBUSTION ORGAN MADE OUT OF A CAR ENGINE! It was fit with rosewood keys and everything! Playable!
-Later the contemporary museum of art in
§ One night while my mom and dad were watching a tv show called “The name of the game”. A man was being filmed going into an art gallery. The gallery worker showed him an art piece done by a world renoun artist named Al Cheney! Dad got all flustered and frustrated saying- “What?!! Theres another artist out there with MY name???!!!” Turns out that that piece of Art was Dads and that the Man was in
V I. A few years later and by the way, for time sake, skipping some pretty incredible details about what he did in between, Dad and mom along with my older sister and brother, moved to Paradise
· There Dad bought and owned a dulcimer company. (Dulcimer out front) For those who don’t know a dulcimer is kinda like an old fashioned guitar that they used in the olden days. To anyone who didn’t know dad as well this may seem kinda strange, dulcimers??? But not to those who knew him well!! Dad could do, make, fix and invent ANYTHING!!!!
· Dad was also the stake YMs president and in the high counsel during that time.
VII. Carrying on a bit of a time line here, Dad, mom, my sister and brother then moved to San Jose and then Ben Lomond California so that my dad could help my grandpa out by taking over his printing company and later work for Lockeed in the graphics engineering department. While in
· Dad served in the bishopbric and then as the scout master and YM. President at the same time.
o Dad was incredible, everyone loved him, in fact I have NEVER met even 1 individual that didn’t adore my dad. He was also so much fun!
o Dad was so sweet and great with people that he had a large BOAT DONATED to the scouting program! Dad took the boys including my brothers under his wings and taught them the ins and outs of boating and taking care of a boat.
o (Jamin) Later while I was at BYU
VIII. Eventually my family moved down here to
· While working at Spectra FX. My dad designed the large dinosaur at the top of the Jurassic park ride at Universal Studios. He did more art for Disney world and Disney land..My dad could do ANY type of art! Some of his drawings for Spectra are also in the slide show my brother put together.
VIIII. Dads last job, and we believe one of his most rewarding, was his work at
· While teaching at Somis and at age 64 he also decided to get his teaching credential from
· Dad was very enthusiastic and committed to whatever he set out to accomplish, giving nothing but his best.
X. While dad was an awesome example to others he was also an extremely devoted father. He loved each of us very very much and showed it as often as possible. He also supported us in every way. As I mentioned in my note on dad in the program I always felt that dad was my own little cheerleader. I know my brothers and sisters, as well as my mom feel that dad was that for them as well. It takes a GREAT MAN to make everyone in your family feel that loved, not just one person!
· Dad ALWAYS went the extra mile:
One summer …job in
Unfortuatly….. no car since….. accident the summer before…totaled my car.
Same car….. 2 years prior…been hit in… half the car crunched in. Literally
dad spent… summer everyday after work cutting… bent up metal..reinstalling
AN ENTIRE NEW HALF OF MY CAR!.
Anyways..back to
· Another time…dad took kids to beach…new glasses (Grew up with)…got home…not there! Were security blanket! Dad drove about ½ back to beach in dark…raked entire beach for glasses! Heard him come in about 2 in morning- hadn’t found…but meant so much!
XI. Each of us kids as well as my mom have so much to say about my dad…To paraphrase the thoughts our family has on dad I am going to read the following….
(read) “Our Dad was instantly liked by anyone he met. He befriended everyone. He loved to be involved in spontaneous service to others without their knowledge. Dad was especially proud and patient with his grandchildren and thoughtful and caring for those “older and wiser” than himself. He loved to hear and tell stories about the past. Dad was always helpful in helping us to work out a personal problem, or any project we were working on. He was very interested in genealogy and loved doing
XII. Would now like to share a very personal bit of information about my recent experiences with dad, Im thinking this is the reason I felt strongly that I needed to speak today. Haven’t shared this with family- only husband.
· In my note on dad in the program I wrote this sentence..
(read) “I never felt that Dad got the credit he deserved in this life for being such a Christ like person, and though extremely heart broken, was not surprised to hear that Heavenly Father wanted him back with Him sooner than later. I truly believe that he was too good for this earth, had done what was expected of him, and that Heavenly Father was ready for him to finally return.” In fact Meant that quite literally!
· I actually had a feeling the last day I personally saw dad, a few months ago before he went up to
I remember stopping at the front door and talking myself out of going up to give him one last hug because I hoped I was just being over sensitive. Then again at the walkway down from my parents house I stopped and paused for about a minute.
Finally before my husband and I drove away I thought about it again but talked myself out of it again.
I worried about him often while he was in
Luckily I finally paid close enough attention to one prompting to call dad Thursday night. We spoke for about 45 minutes and I remember that the conversation had a different tone about it. Dad was giving me extra advice and encouragement, more than usual. Throughout the conversation the thought kept coming to my mind that this could very well be the last time I talk to dad. It was, my dad died the next morning.
I don’t know if I had those thoughts because I was being OVERLY PROTECTIVE about him or if Heavenly Father was just trying to PREPARE ME a bit more for the shock of his passing but I do know that because of these experiences Im even more sure now that God has a plan for each of us.
- (If time) Share with you a poem that I sent dad from my mission when his dad passed away. I knew he would appreciate it because of the boats…
The Ship
In a beautiful lagoon on a clear day,
A fine sailing ship spreads its brilliant
White canvas in a fresh morning breeze
And sails out to open sea.
We watch him glide away magnificently through the deep blue
And gradually see him grow smaller and smaller as he nears the horizon.
Finally where the sea and sky meet, he slips silently from sight,
And someone near me says
“There, he is gone”
Gone where?
Gone from sight is all.
He is still just as large in mast and hull and sail,
Still just as able to bear his load.
And we can be sure that just as WE say, “There he is gone”..others are saying, “There he comes!!!!
IV. President Hinckly once said to my friends great aunt about her great uncle that:
(read) “No ONE is ever taken to the Lord before their time. We are ALL here for a purpose and once that purpose is fulfilled we return to our Heavenly Father. There is no such thing as fluke accidents or unfortunate circumstances. We all return to home EXACTLY when we are supposed to. When it is our time to go, ANYTHING can take us back.
- I know that Heavenly Father has a bigger plan than all of us can comprehend right now. No matter what we would have liked better for dad, that was Gos plan for him
- I’m just so grateful that his plan included dad to be our father.
My thoughts on dads passing besides what is above??? Everyone is asking me and I feel like I sound overly OK with it all. I worry that I sound unaffected or anything. If you read the above talk then you probably know why I wasnt so surprised but definitatly disappointed. It also depends on the time of day you talk to me about it. The way Im coping is by surrounding myself in dad stuff. His 8x10 photo is up and framed in the condo, and one of his large paintings are on the wall. Then Dakota and I are listening to enya all the time which is what dad always listened to while painting. To see some of his incredible work- check out the link to his web site on the right. Lots of young dadds have been dying strangly lately. Looks like Heavenly father needs a bunch of GREAT missionaries up there! The men that are passing are younger than dying age plus great members of the church. So there you go.
Below is a photo of dad, what a cutie:)
Sooo..since all this has gone down with dad and since my baby brother shea moved home now and is going to get married in december to Mehgann hunter (Great granddaughter of President Hunter:) Aaron has moved up to montana to help my oldest brother out with his company. Dad and Shea were working for him. I am waiting for Aarons truck to get out of the shop in order to get out of here. Before this I had never been away from aaron for more then 1 night since weve been married so needless to say Im missing him (And sleeping with a knife next to my bed.)
Where in Montana. Its called Sidney- a miniture town of 5K people. Apparently the closest place to really do much is 3.5 hours away where my brother and his wife and kids live. Yah. So anyways- Aaron is excited to help out so Im happy about that. Well I have to get back to cleaning so we can go sooner than later. Ill give you all an update next time I get a chance to. Were doing a trial run of the job for A month and if Aaron wants to keep it then we will be coming back to pack up our stuff and go back.
Shea and Mehgann photos:







9 comments:
Ari, I was really touched by what you wrote. I am still crying. Thank you for sharing your feelings and memories of your father. What an amazing husband, father and man he was. Your family will be in my prayers. I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish I could give you a hug. Love, Tanya
Thanks tanya:) I didnt think anyone would actually read it- that was sweet- thanks:)
Great Eulogy...my mom said you did a great job at the funeral. I love the picture of your dad...that smile is what I will always remember.
Thanks:) Yah that photo is with him next to me at my wedding- I just photoshopped my hair out et:) Hes a cutie patutti thats for sure:)
Monkey....I am grateful that I was able to attend your dad's graveside service here in SLC. I remember the numerous times that your dad would tell us and show us his paintings in the garage and then explain how he created such wonderful pieces of art. I will always remember your dad's smile...it was always there!
Love you!
Thanks for sharing Ari, I'm sure that's not easy to do. I'm glad that you were given those promptings to help prepare you to deal with all of this. You're amazing you know. I miss you so much, I want to see you. It's been like 2 years since we even talked on the phone. I hope I can see you sometime soon. We're moving to Vegas in about 5 weeks, you might move to Montana...crazy. I'm hoping we can somehow catch up in the midst of all this. I don't want to burden you with extra stuff, I just want you to know that I love you and miss you. I'm so thankful for our friendship, I still look up to you so much. Thanks for always being so wonderful. Seriously. Give your mom a hug for me too if you get a chance. I love that lady!
Love, Jes
Ari,
I was really touched by what you wrote about your Dad. He sounds like a great man. You have such a strong testimony and outlook on this (although I am sure that it easier said than done). I just want you to know that I am thinking of you. I love you girlie! Good luck in Montana!
Love you!
Becca
Oh my goodness, Ari, I'm so sorry! I did love reading your eulogy. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo
Thanks everyone for your sweet comments- love ya'll and appreciate your prayers.
Hey Jess- give me a call- I lost your # last time- lame me...here my cell...805.354.2579..If I dont answer- dont worry!! I promise Ill call you back! Im in the middle of moving right now.
Post a Comment