Monday, August 27, 2007

Our Mount Rushhmore trip!!

Hey dudes! So last night Aaron, dakota, me Shaun Jessy and Trevor got home from our short South dakota trip to Mount rushmore!! It was tons of fun:) We stayed in this hotel with an indoor pool with a huge tube slide! Just like Raging Rapids in Nor cal. (Was that the name?) So funny- I took dakota down the slide with me and Aaron caught him at the end so he didnt go under. jess said he had the cutest look on his face! I believe it! Then jess had me catch Trevor once she came out the slide and we all went under! Dont worry- Trev was just under for a sec- Jess was so worried about keeping trev out of the water she accidently kicked my feet out from under me! Really funny- really fun:)
Man what does it takes to be as photogenic as my husband! What a hottie!!!!!

We went to Rushmore and watched a touching presentation on the 4 presidents and what they have done for our county- pretty moving. Then at the end they lit up the mountain. We got there when it was light- by the time the ceremony was through with it was pitch black so it was pretty cool when the lights went onto their heads. did you know each head is 60 feel tall?
Apparently compared to 6 story buildings. thought of dad the whole time and how he would have loved it and I imagine that afterward the whole way home he would of kept telling us more about each of those presidents- he was so smart!! (Well and still is:) There was this memorial sculpture out front of the dude who carved the statues that the son did. I can see one day a museum of sorts full of dads paintings and work with out front a drawing I will have done of dad. Or maybe even a sculpture! (I got some of that talent from dad as well- lucky me!!!)
We stopped on the way in the crystal caves. Underground caves covered in stalagtites and stalagmintes- crystals and sediments. It was awesome!! Once again dad would have loved it- though I dont know that if we had invited him he would have come! Just because he liked to keep to himself sometimes and Im assuming would want to work to pay the bills instead of enjoying himself more. I remember telling him one time that he needs to start enjoying life more and getting out before it was too late! ughh. Anyways Dakota was very very excited for the caves. (Or was that just because we finally took him out of his car seat?)

We passed through Deadwood- lots of dead wood on the mountains!! If they gave it that name years and years ago (The town) then why hasnt it grown back? Why is it still dead?
Rapid City waslittle town but it was packed with people because of an old car show- looked like and old western saloon town- which it once was!!

the town of keystone where rushmore actually was was cute as well. western once again with a taffy and fudge shop- now thats what Im talking about!! (The prices were not what I'm talking about:) there was also this antique photo place where we got photos done of dakota and Trevor in an old wash bin with hankercheifs in a sepia tone- totally old fashioned and cute. Our reasons to our husbands for being worth the price? Because the 8x10 was going to mom for her western nursery!! (Wish you were there Camden to go in this photo!) But hey- we could only work with what we had. there are so many haystacks and old western scenery around here including train tracks that I am going to try again to get some cute photos of dakota and trevor out on the plains:) Better get that baby out here Anndalyn so I can get some of him as well!!:)
(Photo of the photo)

Anyways- time to post the photos. Lots of fun- what a sweet brother to tell the guys to "Get the girls out of town for the weekend!":)

Love ya'll- did I say that right Aaron and Shaun??:) (Inside joke)

Ari

4 comments:

Leslie said...

That looks like it was so much fun! Probably a nice break from smalltown Sydney.

Kim said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun! We are taking a trip next month (I hope) and it is undecided where we are going....Mt.Rushmore sounds like a good idea!

Gary Church said...

Ari, I just have to tell you that you look better than ever!

Arianne Lewis said...

Thanks- sure not feelin it!:)