So last night was Kotas first swim lesson and lets just say it did not go well. This kid is so scared of water! Kinda funny since I love it so much. Anyways we did this ring around the rosies thing and the instructor said when you say down at the end of the song you put the kid under water. Yah right!! But then I saw that all the other babies did great so when we did it a second time I blew in his face and at "down" put his face under water. He was furious and screaming and I felt so bad! Poor kid sucked in water and the rest of the 40 minutes were heck! He just wanted out. Anyways we have it again today throughout the week and all next week except for Friday.
Any advice so that I can get the most out of these lessons?
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
My Little Un-Fishy!! Advice por favor!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I took trevin to swimming lessons at 6 months and just let him hang onto me and splash his hands in the water and play with water toys. After a couple of sessions he would let me hold him out in front of me and would kick his little legs. Maybe just hold Kota in the water with you and don't dunk him anymore until he feels safe. I'm sure he'll learn to love it- just a new experience!
good call sam. yah he was scared when i held him out front as well. Im thinking this kid isnt ever going to trust me again!! I wont be dunking him again. Especially after I just read that they arnt really supposed to have lessons till theyre 3. Good advice chick a dee!
It's just his age! My boys did the same thing. Don't worry - he'll figure out how fun it is next summer and then you won't be able to keep him outta the water!
Hi Ari,
I am glad you read that part about being 3. I was going to say he seems a little young. My niece is taking swim lessons at 4 yrs old, it might be a better bet. So sad about him swallowing all that water. He was probably so cute even though we was petrified.
Luke is always scared of new things too. Just keep trying. If after all the lessons, he still hates the water... then well, keep trying. It usually takes Luke 2 or 3 times to get to used to whatever new thing it is.
Hi Ari!
Long time so see! (or talk) Anyway, I taught swim lessons for a few years...He will eventually get used to the idea of being in and under the water. The biggest thing that I noticed was the kids look for your reaction when something like getting dunked happens. If you react shocked or scared, he will too. Next time you dunk him be sure to show him how happy, fun and exciting it was for you and that he did a good job. Once he sees your reaction he will realize that he is ok. It will probably take awhile, but just be sure you never let him see your reaction if it is something other than being proud of him. Good Luck!
Post a Comment